TxRoC Provisional License School
Texas World Speedway Provisional License School
About the Texas Race of Champions (TxRoC) Provisional License School
The purpose of this rigorous program is to assist advanced DE/track day drivers transition smoothly into a competitive wheel-to-wheel racing environment. This course will be a mixture of classroom sessions and on-track exercises geared towards learning or improving the skills needed to make it through your first race season and avoid common "rookie" errors. The course will be taught by a group of experienced race drivers from a variety of racing series.
The on-track exercises will consist of the following:
- "Off-line Driving," where the student will practice making the adjustments to braking and speed needed to carry momentum through turns while off the optimal driving line.
- "Leap-frog passing," where teams of 2-3 cars will practice setting up and carrying through clean, safe passes along straights and through turns.
- One session will be dedicated to groups of three cars driving abreast along the entire course at a reasonable pace. This is designed to further improve the driver's situational awareness and comfort level when in close proximity with other cars.
- The last session will be dedicated to practice race starts. The cars will come down the front straight in formation at the pace car speed, take a green flag (or be waived off), then "race" for several turns (keep in mind this is still practice, and being at-fault in any car-to-car contact will almost certainly result in failure of the course). The cars will then reduce pace, shuffle positions, and form up for additional practice starts for the rest of the session.
The classroom session topics will include:
- Pre-race day preparation and checklists
- How to pass tech smoothly and acquire a logbook
- What to do with practice sessions
- Qualifying strategy
- Gridding for a race, pace lap, starts, and surviving the first lap
- Setting up, and defending against passes
- Adjustments needed for a rain race
- What is acceptable conduct on and off track
- Post-race tech procedures
- Q&A sessions with experienced racers who will confess their dumbest mistakes, so you can avoid making them!
Passing this course will result in a provisional license with the Texas Race of Champions Series, though it should be noted that passing the course is not guaranteed. Any car-to-car contact during any exercise is cause for immediate dismissal from the school without award of a license. In order to pass the course the student must demonstrate that he or she is proficient during the on-track exercises; meaning that he or she accomplished the stated goal of the exercise while carrying a reasonably quick pace, using good judgment, and maintaining excellent situational awareness of other cars and flag conditions at all manned corner stations throughout the day. Additionally it is required that the student be in attendance promptly for all classroom sessions during the day.
Upon completion drivers will be eligible to compete in the TxRoC series races on a provisional basis. Provisional drivers will be licensed to compete, but will be subject to a probationary period. Drivers will be required to complete 4 Races without incident to receive their competition license, and removed from probationary status.
2011 TxRoC Provisional License School Events
2011 TxRoC Provisional License School Pricing
One day School (on-line registration) - $TBD
On-line registration closes 32 hours prior to the beginning of the event. All entrants MUST pre-register online, as walk-ups are not accepted.
TxRoc Provisional License School Requirements
Drivers can attend the TxRoC Race Licensing School after meeting any one of the following prerequisites:
- PDS White Run Group drivers may request a check ride with the Texas World Speedway (TWS) Chief Driving Instructor (CDI) and a letter of authorization to attend the Race Licensing School, signed by the TWS CDI.
- Porsche Club of America White Run Group drivers may request a check ride with a PCA Region CDI and a letter of authorization to attend the Race Licensing School signed by the PCA Region CDI.
- National Auto Sport Association (NASA) HPDE-4 Run Group drivers may request a check ride with a NASA Region CDI and a letter of authorization to attend the Race Licensing School signed by the NASA Region CDI.
- PDS Time Trial drivers may request a letter of authorization to attend the Race Licensing School, signed by the TWS CDI, after successfully completing four (4) Time Trial Weekends within a 12-month period.
- NASA Time Trial drivers may request a letter of authorization to attend the Race Licensing School, signed by a NASA Region CDI, after successfully completing four (4) Time Trial Weekends within a 12-month period.
Each entrant's race car entered in the TxRoC Provisional License School must be a competition ready race car and meet the same safety criteria that TxRoC employs in the 2011 Rulebook.
Please note that each participant's car should be race ready upon arrival, as no time is allotted during the day for car preparation. All participants are expected to hold a knowledge of the track layout upon arrival, as this should be learned in prior HPDE events and will not be covered in the curriculum.
Credit toward another event, minus a $25 administration fee, will be given within 72 hours of an event, but at least 32 hours prior to the event start date/time (when on-line registration closes).
Credit toward another event, minus a $50 administration fee, will be given within 32 hours of an event, but at least 8 hours prior to the event start date/time.
Credit will not be issued on or after an event start date.
Refunds will not be given because of weather or mechanical failures of registrant's vehicles.
Refunds will not be given for multiple event packages once the first event has been attended.
To register, please go to www.clubregistration.net to sign up for the event. Registration for each event will open online approximately six weeks prior to each event, so stay posted online.